Tuesday, August 24, 2010

"People can lose their lives in libraries. They ought to be warned." ~ Saul Bellow

I FINALLY FINISHED IT!!

The Adventures of Augie March has been read and put in the pile to be taken to the Half-Price Bookstore! It took me one month to finish that book..which is, quite frankly, not good. I can normally read a book in a week or less and if I anticipate a book taking longer I normally just throw in the towel and move on because I know I'm not going to like it.

Augie March (sorry the titles too long I'm shortening it) was just...too...Oh I'm not sure what to say! It was too wordy and I too scientific in some parts with descriptions of axial lines (whatever those are) and plasma and other science-y stuff that I don't honestly care about! For those of you unaware I HATE science! I had to take Biology three times before I passed it -- so for any book to contain a ton of scientific smarty pants paragraphs is just not gonna happen for me.
This is not to say that you may not enjoy the book yourself. There were some parts that I really enjoyed and had me wanting to read more especially the points when Augie defied family expectations to help friends in need, but for me those parts were just too far and in between. If you have forgotten Times review on The Adventures of Augie March you can read it HERE and then decide for yourself if you would like to read it.

The next book on the list is All the King's Men which is supposed to be really good (duh, obviously LeAnn, it is on the ALL TIME 100 Novels), but I'm being a little gun shy and taking a break from the list to read a book that I went to the book store and found all on my lonesome!

On another note I still have not enrolled for Belly Dancing classes because, well, to be honest I haven't worked up the courage to do it yet. I know, I know, the whole point of making a list was to be brave and try new things but, well, I'm just too chicken!


OH! FYI the title of the book I'm reading now (or preparing to read) is If I Stay. It sounds really interesting and really good so I'll keep ya posted on that too!

No comments:

Post a Comment